Skip to main content

5 tips for becoming more productive

Hi my lovelies! 

Today I want to give you some practical tips on how to become more productive.

Although this topic had been written about a million times on the web, I thought it would be worth addressing again. As procrastination is something I struggle with on a daily basis, I have already tested a thousand-and-one methods for staying concentrated so I would like to share those that work for me personally.


Let's get right to it! 



1. Mute your phone, switch it off or leave it in a different room 

Let's start with the basics! You get to choose which of the three options suits you best -  I guess it depends on how quickly you lose your focus. In my case, the phone would probably have to be left in a house across the road...I get distracted very easily!
2. Make a timetable for yourself

There are two ways of doing this; you can either write a 'to do' list or draft-up a timetable outlining your duties and the time you would like to dedicate to each activity. Both methods work well for me but I do have to admit that timetables give me that extra bit of motivation because they make me very aware of the time that's passing by as well as reminding me that I'm working to a deadline. 

The psychology behind this method is very simple: timetables show us that even a sprinkle of procrastination will affect our plans and have a negative impact on the rest of the day.

Setting goals for yourself and being able to tick things off the list also gives us that feel-good feeling. We automatically feel a sense of achievement at the end of a productive day. Moreover, the realization of the fact that we worked really hard and were able to overcome a challenging workload is a great confidence boost.

3. Find a comfortable place where nothing will distract you

This step is particularly useful for school or college work. Different people are able to concentrate in varying settings. I usually study in my room. That being said, I do like to switch it up from time to time because it feels refreshing and improves my ability to focus.

I sometimes like to put my laptop down on the kitchen table and work from there. But if I feel like I have to leave my house in order to concentrate better, I find a quiet cafeteria somewhere in the city. I also found that bright places and plants improve my creativity.

It's all down to personal preference but it has been proven that it is usually easier to work in clean and spacious places; as one wise man once said - mess creates stress! A cluttered desk often represents a cluttered mind.


4. Take regular breaks and change your surroundings 

An average adult loses his/her focus after three minutes and is unable to fully concentrate for more than twenty minutes at a time. This is why it's important to take regular breaks and if possible, leave your place of work for the duration of the break.

If I'm working in my house, I find it best to make myself a coffee and drink it somewhere else. If it's a break I'm taking at work, I like to go for a 15 minute walk to freshen up.

5. Take care of your body 

I will probably sound like your typical fitness guru but it's important that I say this. A healthy mind needs a healthy body and you will not be able to concentrate after eating an excessive portion of carbs which your body did not need. It will only make you feel heavy and sleepy and probably result in some procrastination.

Equally, you won't get much done if you're dehydrated. Drink your 2-3 litres of water daily and don't consume empty calories from sugary drinks. The sugar might give you an initial kick but it will be gone in minutes. In fact, you will actually feel worse after the sugar hits its peak and then drops rapidly.


In case you feel sleepy and are in need of an energy kick, drink a cup of coffee with some almond, soy or lactose-free milk. And don't worry if you're one of those people that can't stand coffee; a matcha tea or latte will also do the trick! 

Lastly, in case you're doing something that requires some 'intellectual work', vitamin tabs dissolvable in water could also be an option for you. I have been using Berocca tablets when studying for exams in the past and I must say that they're great for improving your mental performance and stamina. The tab will give you an instant boost and tastes like fruit juice! 


Berocca can be purchased in a range of pharmacies and if you live in Ireland or the UK - check your local Boots.




Thanks for sticking with me till the end! I hope you enjoyed this entry and that these guidelines will work for you. 


Lets stay in touch!


Follow me on Twitter @primavera_blogs for daily updates and hit the subscribe button at the top of the page if you'd like to be notified every time I post. 

I shall speak to you soon :-)


- Paula


Comments

  1. Great tips! Personally, I love making lists But I always end up forgetting about them out losing them!

    LoneTeenTraveller | Travel Fashion Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! it's important to find something that works well for you :) thanks for reading ♡

      Delete
  2. Great advice! I am the worst at procrastinating, always seem to have a million things to do and never get myself organised enough to get them done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain because I'm exactly the same! I try to motivate myself by thinking about the reward my productivity will bring e.g. the good feeling you get once you do something you've been dreading/putting off for a while. It works...sometimes...:) thanks for reading! ♡

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such