Skip to main content

What I'm Reading - December 2018

Hello & welcome back to my blog! 

It's getting colder and more grey outside so naturally, I'm staying in more and spending more time reading - I'm not complaining, it's great really!

I'm currently reading three books and given that my interests literally range from make-up to rocket science, all three are very different - which I think is a good thing because it means that those reading this post are more likely to find something they like here!

So without further ado, here are the three books I'd recommend for a cozy, winter night in:

If you want to relax after a long day of work, I would recommend... 



The Protagonist (Maggie) leads a settled and uneventful life. She has a boring job and a happy yet dull marriage. 

Maggie married her high-school sweetheart who she's been with for 9 years. Unfortunately, the spark is gone and their relationship resembles a boring routine. Things only get worse when Maggie finds out that her husband is having an affair. 

She then files for divorce and decides to visit her close friend who happens to live in Los Angeles. This is the point at which the roller coaster in Maggie's life begins.

The storyline is well developed - it's quite a thick book (482 pages in total) which makes it a great evening read that will help you relax and escape from worries of everyday life, even if it's just for a little while.

The book carries an upbeat and sassy tone. Filled with relatable humor, it's guaranteed to bring a smile to the reader's face!


If you want to get better at understanding others (and yourself), I would recommend...


The book is based on the belief that essentially, there are 4 types of personalities (or temperaments) and while we're all 'made up' of the 4, there are always one or two that play the biggest part in who we are, how we think & behave.

The 4 temperaments are: choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic and sanguine. There is a section dedicated to each, where they're described in great detail. Some of the aspects covered are how each temperament behaves at young age, old age, in marriage, their love & work-lives, and other life stages and situations.


The last part of the book deals with all of the possible combinations of these temperaments. 


Love, Health & Happiness is a truly fascinating read (especially if you're into psychology or you simply want to get better at understanding yourself and those around you). 


It's quite an old book - it was first published in 1995, so it might be difficult to find at a bookshop. I did find it online though, it's available here


If you're feeling ambitious, I would recommend...

The Human Mind by Robert Winston


I'm finding it quite hard to describe this book because I feel like my inability to use scientific language will ruin this short review. I think it's best that I keep it simple and get straight to the point. 

You get what you see with this one; it's a book about the human mind and brain, and everything in between. This book is filled with detailed information and tonnes of difficult, scientific vocabulary. But despite the fact that it isn't quite written 'for dummies' or amateurs that simply want to understand the very basics behind the most complex organ in the human body, the information is actually easy to take in, thanks to Winston's detailed explanations and real-life examples & anecdotes. 


It's also worth mentioning that the first part of the book deals with the very basic structures of the human brain; e.g. what they do & look like, so that we find it easier to understand the second part of the book which covers the interesting facts & fun stuff.


I feel like adjectives such as 'fascinating' or 'intriguing' are simply an understatement when it comes to describing the information in this book and the incredible influence that our brain & mind have on our everyday lives. 


Every disorder, feeling and type of behaviour is covered in great detail. Attention is also given to things like death, our unconscious mind and the effect of hypnosis on our brain. In short: this book covers it all.

***
So these are the three books that I am reading at the moment & would recommend. 

What have you been reading recently? Is there anything you'd recommend to someone as random and curious as me? 😀 

Paula 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

5 tips for becoming more productive

Hi my lovelies!  Today I want to give you some practical tips on how to become more productive. Although this topic had been written about a million times on the web, I thought it would be worth addressing again. As procrastination is something I struggle with on a daily basis, I have already tested a thousand-and-one methods for staying concentrated so I would like to share those that work for me personally. L et's get right to it!   1. Mute your phone, switch it off or leave it in a different room  Let's start with the basics! Y ou get to choose which of the three options suits you best -  I guess it depends on how quickly you lose your focus. In my case, the phone would probably have to be left in a house across the road...I get distracted very easily! 2. Make a timetable for yourself There are two ways of doing this; you can either write a 'to do' list or draft-up a timetable outlining your duties and the time you would like to dedica