Skip to main content

Are you even in your 20s if you don’t have an existential crisis every other day?

If you’re in your twenties, you will probably relate to this.

With my 22nd birthday came a variety of thoughts making me question things I’ve never questioned before. And I’m not referring to questions of spiritual nature such as wondering if God is real or even something as simple as if I’m on the right path professionally. Instead, I began worrying that time is passing too quickly, and although I’m still young, I might ‘sleep’ through a life-changing opportunity and fail at life if I don’t have my eyes wide open at all times.


You’re probably familiar with FOMO (the fear of missing out) and that’s what I suffer from, except in my case it doesn’t refer to parties or social events in general but it’s more about my career/personal-development/making a good future for myself.

The good thing is, I know that this is totally normal (especially in your 20s) and I’m not the only one dealing with this issue. The bad thing is, I have no idea how to stop worrying about it.

I’ve been very active while I was in college (which wasn’t that long ago by the way): I worked, I volunteered, I was a part of college societies, I did a lot of career research, I met professionals in fields I was interested in working in, I attended talks…and then I finished my degree and got a full time job and took up blogging (which I LOVE) but still feel like I’m not doing enough and I should already be getting a masters and buying a house! It’s insane, I know, but I can’t help it and I know that there are so many people going through the same thing which is why I thought this would be worth addressing on my blog.

And if this is something you’re experiencing yourself, you should know that it's officially a THING and it’s backed up by science!

According to a study in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, your mental health improves as you get older. Author of the study, Dilip Jeste of the Center on Healthy Aging at UCSD said it's all the changes we experience when we're younger that make us worried about our future/missing out.

He explained: ''There is constant peer pressure: you're looking at others and always feeling bad that you're not succeeding like some of them, and you feel like you have lots of choices but you're not really making use of them.’’

I don’t know about you but that’s exactly how I feel. The good news is, according to this study, we gain emotional stability, empathy, self-knowledge and social savviness with age and well, we stress less.

So keep swimming my friends! Better times are coming and the best thing we can do is enjoy the journey in the meantime!

- Paula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful