Skip to main content

The importance of enjoying your own company

As people, we tend to stick in groups, so it's only natural that most of us feel the need to have company. The only difference being the extent to which we need it, which depends on our mood or nature and whether we have introvert/extrovert tendencies. 

There's nothing wrong with either but as an extrovert, I often felt like I wasn't spending enough time with people and had a tendency to feel lonely, even after I've had a day full of social interactions.

I didn't always enjoy my own company but one day realised that, as horrible as this may sound, people come and go and the only person you're really stuck with forever is yourself, so you might as well learn to enjoy spending time alone.

Having come to this conclusion, I set myself a quest to learn to be able to go on solo adventures or simply do things I enjoy, alone. I am still a people person but I have to say that once I learned to appreciate alone time, life began to feel more full and I felt less dependent on others to have a good time. It felt very liberating and I would totally recommend trying this to anyone.

Simple enough tasks like going to a café, eating at a restaurant or even going on a solo weekend away, seemed almost impossible to me at one time. I just always needed a partner, someone by my side to help my anxiety and talk to me so I didn't feel as lonely.
This is no longer the case and I value my time and energy so much more now that I've learned how to do this. I'm much more selective when it comes to people I hang out with now and sometimes, I'd rather spend time ''with me'' than waste energy on someone who's not bringing any positivity to the picture.

Apart from conserving your precious time & energy, enjoying your own company makes it a lot easier for your mind to open up. It gives you the time to think creatively, relax and reflect on life, making it possible to live mindfully and be present in the moment. 

Likewise, you can learn so much about yourself when alone. Your behavior, thoughts, and self-awareness are on the rise and it's actually crazy how much of myself I discovered while traveling alone and how it helped my self-esteem. Knowing that I'm fully capable of navigating my trip without getting lost and enjoying it without someone by my side made me feel like a badass. 

I understand that this isn't for everyone, but for me, learning to enjoy my own company made life easier and more enjoyable + the feeling of being in full control of my emotions is something that makes me feel a lot more powerful as a person.

Are you an extrovert or an introvert? Do you enjoy spending time alone? 

Paula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful