Skip to main content

Gain self-confidence with these 5 key tips!

Building up your confidence is certainly a process that takes time. For some, it comes easy, for others, it’s a struggle that can take years. What’s worse is that there are also those that never really get to believe in themselves, and that’s really crushing to me personally, as someone who struggled (and still occasionally struggles) with low confidence.

You might see me in the street or even in a work setting and think I’m all about confidence. I wear my head high and make sure that I look presentable for work or social outings in general. This is something that really helps me personally – I like to feel like I’ve got my life together and look the part too - even though on some days I really don’t feel like this is the case.


Just like with depression, anxiety or other so-called ‘invisible’ illnesses, lack of confidence is not something that can be noticed in some people. This is both good and bad - good because I would be really embarrassed in a situation where it was obvious to people that I wasn’t feeling great about myself, but bad because it means some people suffer in silence and don’t seek the help they need.

I’m writing this blog post to help those in similar situations. Life/work experience taught me that things will not move in the direction you want them to go if you’re overly shy or lack confidence in your skills and abilities. 

So here are 5 tips that helped me and might also help you in your confidence journey!

People really don’t care as much as they think they do 

I mentioned this one in an earlier post about How to get out of your comfort zone & why it’s so worth it, but I think it’s worth going over again, especially for those of us that are shy & worry about what others think about us. So here’s the thing: people don’t care about what you do as much as you think they do. 

Ask yourself these questions - have you done something embarrassing that you think about before going to sleep every other night? Are you still going over that situation at work that, in your eyes, made you look incompetent or not good enough? 

Well, there is a high chance that the people you were with when these situations took place, either a) forgot about this happening or b) didn’t consider the situation as important/embarrassing as it was in your eyes. It’s time to move on and keep going!

What you bring to the table is unique – there’s only 1 you

No matter how good someone’s ideas are or how well they’re doing in life, they’re in no way better than you. We’re all different and bring unique views and ideas to the table – this is what keeps life so interesting! Your view on things is as important and credible as that of anyone else.

Put frankly, be brave & don’t be afraid to speak up and share your ideas with the world. Even if it’s not your idea being chosen in the end or it’s discredited by someone else you hang out/work with, it’s on them, not you. Just keep going and don’t stop believing in what you do.

More confidence often means more respect 

I’m not saying that this is fair and how things should be, but more often than not, it’s the truth. Once you show others that you are confident in what you can do, they tend to treat you differently. 

This applies to both work and life situations. At work, your boss wants to see that you are able to present yourself and handle yourself in a confident and professional manner. In your social circle, your friends will value your confidence and hopefully learn it from you too.

There’s a difference between being confident and being cocky so it’s important not to mistake the two. But once you reach that comfortable level of confidence, you will certainly notice a difference in how people treat you both in the street and at work!

Fake it until you make it 

This one is difficult, but it all comes down to being able to train your mind into believing that you’re worth it and you’re enough. Put that mindset into practice and help yourself with positive affirmations or motivating music if needed.

This is a process and won’t happen overnight but apparently, it only takes 14 days to teach your brain a new habit so why not try it for 2 weeks and see how it works out for you? It’s definitely worth a shot!

Love yourself and the right people will love you back

Once you love yourself, you’re less likely to put yourself in unsafe or unfavorable situations. Once you know your value, it’s easier to see when someone’s not giving you enough respect or treating you fairly. 

As a confident man or woman, you’ll learn to distance yourself from the situation and move on more easily. After all, you’re a great person so your next employer/partner/best friend will be lucky to have you and there is no big loss/need to worry here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

5 tips for becoming more productive

Hi my lovelies!  Today I want to give you some practical tips on how to become more productive. Although this topic had been written about a million times on the web, I thought it would be worth addressing again. As procrastination is something I struggle with on a daily basis, I have already tested a thousand-and-one methods for staying concentrated so I would like to share those that work for me personally. L et's get right to it!   1. Mute your phone, switch it off or leave it in a different room  Let's start with the basics! Y ou get to choose which of the three options suits you best -  I guess it depends on how quickly you lose your focus. In my case, the phone would probably have to be left in a house across the road...I get distracted very easily! 2. Make a timetable for yourself There are two ways of doing this; you can either write a 'to do' list or draft-up a timetable outlining your duties and the time you would like to dedica