Skip to main content

Controlling People: 4 ways you give people power without realising it!


Today I want to talk about control, and how we give it to others without even realising it. 

When we think about control, we usually associate it with a positive act. For example, letting someone make a decision for us or stopping us from doing something. But not that many people know that in fact, we can give someone excessive control without even seeing it, because they're so discreet and manipulative in getting it from us!

After reading this post, you'll be able to identify 4 different ways of giving someone else control over your mind or feelings and hopefully, use this knowledge to your advantage!


#1 Lack of Assertiveness

Is this one obvious? I'm not sure - but anyhow, if you can't say 'no', it's clear that the decision will be made for you by someone else. Assertiveness is a skill and depending on your personality type, it might be a difficult one to conquer. The ability to say no is something you'll need in your personal and professional life. Think of questions like 'Can you help me out with this project at work?' or 'Would you mind taking care of the kids so that I can grab a few drinks with the girls this weekend?' 

In case you're unable to assess if, when giving your answer, you were being assertive or not, ask yourself how you felt when you gave that answer. Did you feel like a victim? Did you feel annoyed or sad when saying 'yes'? Or did you feel like you were simply helping someone out & didn't mind the favour on your part? Answering these questions will give you the answer you need. 

PS: If being assertive is a challenge for you, I'd recommend reading The Weekend Life Coach, by Lynda Field. There's a whole chapter on assertiveness in that book and it helped me greatly! 
PPS: It was the first book on personal development I've ever read and I published a short review of it here

#2 Holding a grudge 

I myself am not one to forgive and forget easily, but the truth is that forgiveness will set you free. I mean - why waste your mental energy on emotions like sadness and anger? 

Focus on healing your wounds first. Then, try to understand their side, how they hurt you because they didn't know any better and wish them enough self-growth to become a better person. Let go of negative emotions and move on!

#3 Indifference

This one is a little bit like the inability to say no - but worse. By being indifferent and not letting people know how you feel, you're making them choose for you. You put all of your control in their hands, and once they make a decision, you're stuck with that. 

An example of this is not utilizing your right to vote in an election, getting in a car with a drunk driver or not telling your friends/partners/family how you really feel about something in order to not hurt their feelings. That means they're happy, but you are not. And it'll keep boiling down until you feel horrible about it.

#4 Falling victim to manipulation or lies

Of course, we don't always have full control over this one, but by identifying signs of someone trying to manipulate or use us to their advantage, we can lower the chances of this happening. 

For instance, when we think of someone sick (perhaps a sick partner we've been wanting to break up with for a while), we feel bad for them, and our conscience doesn't let us leave them now that they're suffering. In this case, we'd consider ourselves as the ones having full control - we're the healthy one, the one getting ready to end things. But that's not necessarily true!

If you have had the misfortune of meeting someone who is manipulative to the extent that they'd be capable of faking sickness to keep you close, you can be sure that they're the one in control. 

Another example could be a fake friend talking behind the back of another friend, and convincing you that they have bad intentions. By believing the lie, you immediately feel safer and more prepared. Now you know (or at least you think that you know) the truth and won't let this negative force mess with your life. But in fact, that lying friend is the one lying and in control.

* * * 
Wishing you all the best in your journey of self-growth,

Paula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful