Skip to main content

How to build a strong and healthy relationship

Hello & welcome to my blog in 2020! 

I'm pretty sure I've said this on my blog a good few entries back but how my mind works when it comes to writing is that I can only create content when I feel passionate or sure of something or when it's something that I've recently experienced. This is why I'm coming to you today with a blog post on the key things I've learned through the course of my (almost) 5 year-long relationship. 

I've spent a huge amount of time with my SO over Christmas, which only made me realize how important some of these are for a healthy and strong relationship. Before I get into it, I'd like to put a quick disclaimer out there: I know every relationship is different and I'm not here to give professional advice BUT these have worked for me & I can't see why they wouldn't be important in any type of personal relation! 
A common misconception about relationships is that they should be smooth and easy. Realistically, that's almost never the case, and if it is, it's probably going to get quite boring pretty quickly! Relationships are hard work and the extent of the work you need to put in depends on factors such as your actual personalities, the stage you're at in life or if you have kids, etc. 

What I think should make the top of the list though is communication and solving problems as soon as they arise. Talk talk talk. Don't keep it in unless you need a minute to calm down. This applies to anything and everything. Help your partner get to know you better and ask questions so they also feel acknowledged and appreciated. Tell them how you feel and don't apologize for the way you feel. 

In times of conflict, hear them out to get their side of the story and then be the one to give your perspective. The more you talk, the better understanding you'll have of your partner's wants, needs and preferences, and conflicts related to these will become rare the better you know them.

Next on my list is compromise. Unless you're two identical people, you will have to make a compromise at some stage. Things are usually great at the start and people find it easy to let go of things to suit their partners. Over time, boundaries have to be set in order to keep both people happy. 

Whether you want to go 50/50 or 80/20 should depend on your priorities and how important having things your way is in that particular situation. Effective communication with your partner mentioned above will help you assess that, because once you know them well and they know you well, you'll understand what's important for each other and it'll be easier to make compromises or decide whose needs should be prioritized each time.

Next, there's trust. You can't build a relationship without trust. This, of course, comes with time but once it's there, it honestly feels amazing to know that you can trust your partner to be loyal or be there for you in times of difficulty. 

Last but not least, there must be mutual respect and effort coming from both sides to make any relationship work. 
* * * 
So these are my tips for a healthy and strong relationship! Is there anything you'd add to the list? 

Paula x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful