Skip to main content

3 Habits That Will Make a Big Difference In Your Life

I believe in the power of small habits. Little changes that add up to make a big difference. For one, they're much easier to implement and give us that feel-good feeling. It's kind of like the method of little steps that will eventually lead to success. 

Research has shown that it takes 14 days on average to form a habit. Developing one requires some work but it becomes effortless after a while. Once a particular behaviour transforms into a habit, it feels natural and you'll find it difficult to imagine life without it. 

The 3 small habits that I'm going to outline below also once required some work, but now these form a part of my everyday routine and help me greatly in many ways. I hope they'll help you too!

1) Ditch your phone at least 30 minutes before going to bed

Mobile phones give us that constant stimulation. Whether it's a dopamine rush we get from an entertaining WhatsApp group chat or the variety of bright colours that pop up on our screens when we watch a YouTube video.

Some people leave their mobile phones outside of their bedroom overnight so that they're not the first thing they look at in the morning, some download time management apps that will lock your phone after you use it for a set amount of time. 

While these are both great solutions for those who catch themselves spending too much time on social media, a good and more subtle way of calming down your mind before going to bed is simply reserving those last 30 minutes for reading or meditating.

Not only will this give you some mental comfort and peace of mind but you'll fall asleep faster because of the lack of excessive external stimuli!

2) Turn negatives into positives

Attitude is everything. If you look at everyday problems as challenges with a lesson to be learned at the end, your entire outlook will change. 

Think of it this way: life can sometimes throw some obstacles our way, but whatever it is - it's something we are capable of dealing with. Every experience, whether good or bad, teaches us a lesson. So, through challenges, we develop, learn and ultimately become better people.

It might be difficult to find positivity in situations when we feel hurt or upset, especially when that feeling is fresh. But if you manage to find the good in the bad, you're a step ahead of everyone else.

This applies to literally everything:

Your car broke down? Ok, well it's a nice day today and you may as well walk or cycle to work, some fresh air will do you well!

Your friend canceled on you last minute?  Not going out for dinner & drinks will save you a few quid that you can spend on treating yourself in a different way.

You were given a difficult task by your manager and you're not sure if you can complete it? It's okay to ask your colleagues for help + it's great that you're being challenged in the workplace, that means you're learning something new!

3)  Express gratitude daily

Life is all about appreciating the little things and enjoying them as they happen. Learn to notice the small (and big) victories and express gratitude every day. Not only will this give you a mood boost, but it'll attract more positivity into your life. 

You might think that there isn't much good happening in your life but once you become more mindful, you'll begin to notice more great moments coming your way.

I for one always feel heartbroken for the homeless that have nowhere warm to go during the wintertime. On the positive side, it makes me realize how grateful I am for warmth and a roof over my head when I get home from the cold. We all have a lot to be grateful for! 
* * * 
Do you have any habits that help you stay positive? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful