Skip to main content

''When you go back home''

I am not one to be easily offended. In fact, I think that we've all become very aware. Every joke and every comment we make is carefully curated, positioned in a way that has absolutely no potential to be taken as deragatory by whoever we're speaking to. 

Political correctness or not, I love how awake the society has become through all of this. The empathy that emanates from some of us when speaking to someone coming from a minority group, or experiencing difficulties that we will never go through ourselves. 

But I can't help feeling hurt when assumptions are made. It bothers me when someone assumes how I feel, who I am or where I seem to belong. 

It stings, when someone asks me when I last visited ''home'' after 15 years of being an expat. Because truth to be told, I have no ''home'' in my native country. HERE is my home. Here is where I belong, where a piece of me will stay even if I choose to move somewhere else in the future.

The slightest sound of a foreign accent in conversation seems to trigger the question about home. ''Are you planning to move back home?'', ''What do you do with the dog when you visit home?'' Except I don't visit home. I see my family, meet up with a childhood friend and fly right back.

No matter how much fun I'm having at ''home'', I always am relieved to be coming back home. I feel excitement when the plane hits the ground of the airport and I know that  I'll be seing my partner and precious pup in a matter of minutes. That I'll be putting on comfortable clothes and my hair will go up in a bun and that I won't have to leave for a while. 

Asking me about my home is in no way malicious, and yet I can't help but feel alienated when someone poses the question. 

I am home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

5 tips for becoming more productive

Hi my lovelies!  Today I want to give you some practical tips on how to become more productive. Although this topic had been written about a million times on the web, I thought it would be worth addressing again. As procrastination is something I struggle with on a daily basis, I have already tested a thousand-and-one methods for staying concentrated so I would like to share those that work for me personally. L et's get right to it!   1. Mute your phone, switch it off or leave it in a different room  Let's start with the basics! Y ou get to choose which of the three options suits you best -  I guess it depends on how quickly you lose your focus. In my case, the phone would probably have to be left in a house across the road...I get distracted very easily! 2. Make a timetable for yourself There are two ways of doing this; you can either write a 'to do' list or draft-up a timetable outlining your duties and the time you would like to dedica

Does empathy lead to depression?

Hi guys, Here comes another serious post! Empathy is a feeling very close to my heart.  I'd like to talk about it & the impact it had on my life for quite some time. If you’re triggered by topics like mental illness, please don’t read this post. My intention is to talk about my own experiences and thoughts, and how I overcame a dark time in my life. It's definitely not my intention to make anyone upset. I realised I'm an empath once I learned what the word meant. And for anyone out there who isn't familiar with the term, below is a short definition: I'm not sure if empathy is synonymous with sensitivity but I did notice that people who are led by feelings are easily affected by other people's sadness and pain and often feel for them. It’s not wrong to be an empath, but it does become a problem when you lose control over this tendency and let it have a negative impact on your life. Suddenly, it becomes impossible to be grateful