Skip to main content

If your manager is engaging in any of these 3 toxic behaviours, they shouldn't be a manager.


Have you ever worked for a manager or boss that you couldn't stand? Was it because of their personality? their management style? Did they possess toxic traits that put you off work? 

I have definitely come across a few incompetent leaders in the past. Although it was a pain to deal with them then, I'm glad I had that experience, because it taught me what NOT to do as a manager and how IMPORTANT a positive mindset and setting a good example for your team really is.

Today, I'd like to share with you the 3 toxic traits that I've come across in the workplace. I think that putting these out there might be helpful for some people - it'll help you notice when someone engages in those or when it's you that's acting this way toward your colleagues.

woman holding mug

1. Lack of professionalism: 


I once had a manager who would give out to me for the smallest, most insignificant mistake just because he wasn't in a good mood on that particular day. I also had a manager at one point who couldn't control her emotions when it came to being angry or unhappy with her team's results (even if it was her strategy that failed).


Working for both of these people was miserable and affected everyone in the same way. How good or bad your day was depended on their mood on a given day. Looking back at it now, I'm angry at myself for not saying anything about this to their superiors!


Lack of professionalism can also reveal itself in a whole different way. Whether it's addressing private issues in front of other employees, demeaning people publicly or not treating them with basic respect - such behavior should simply not be tolerated in the workplace.


2. Not making time to speak to your team


We depend on our superiors' feedback and guidance heavily when it comes to our professional (and often personal) growth. One of my ex-managers would always be ''too busy'' to answer questions I needed to have answers to in order to do my job. She also couldn't find the time to meet with me every couple of months to let me know how she thinks I'm getting on at work!


This was demotivating and made me feel like I was wasting my time with a company that didn't care about my professional development. I have to say I was relieved when I found out about this person seeking a new position with a different firm & a more competent colleague being selected as her replacement.


3. Making your employees feel stupid when they ask questions


''Don't ask stupid questions'', ''Have you not been following the email thread last week?'' 
These questions just scream TOXIC to me. They induce guilt and can easily affect your confidence.

Being oblivious to what has been happening at work is one thing but having a slower or a bad week does not mean that you should feel stupid or inferior for asking questions! Besides, sometimes it's the managers that forget to brief their team on things or explain how something works. 

Even if you don't take this too personally, from a psychological standpoint, the more times you hear this, the more you start to believe what they say (even subconsciously!).
* * * 
So here they are! The 3 toxic traits that I have come across in the workplace before. If you're really interested in this topic, Forbes published an article on other unacceptable managerial behaviours and I have written about toxic workplaces on this blog in the past. 

Have you ever had bad experiences with your boss or manager because of how they behaved? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why seeking validation from others will only harm your self worth & how to stop

We all have insecurities and we all look for validation from others whether we'd like to admit it or not.  It often starts in our early life when we feel the need to fulfil the expectations imposed on us by our parents. Later, it escalates into seeking approval of our physical appearance and behaviour by our peers and partners and eventually, the need to appeal to our colleagues & superiors at work might also come into play. This search for validation becomes addictive and we quickly develop a need for more.  But what's really scary about this is the fact that we're letting other people take control over how we feel about ourselves by allowing them to define whether we are attractive enough or smart enough. This is beyond wrong, I mean, how can we value the opinion of others above our own?!  Moreover, constantly seeking validation makes receiving disapproval a very painful experience and stops us from moving forward and aiming for our goals. Ultimate

Challenges of growing up in 2019

I want to start off this blog post by showing my appreciation for the fact that I spent the first 10 years of my life not knowing what the internet was or who the Kardashians were. And even when the internet officially became a thing, and my parents bought their first ever computer, I wasn’t that interested in it and I much preferred spending my afternoons playing with my toys or visiting friends that lived nearby. I was about 11 or 12 when Facebook reached its peak in popularity among teenagers. I must’ve been about 12 when a friend convinced me to register on Facebook. I remember spending the next couple of years fascinated by it and logged in every day, mostly to chat with friends but also to post tonnes of silly status updates (that haunt me to this very day thanks to that '‘you have memories to look back to'’ notification I receive so regularly) and lots of pictures. Back then, every social outing had to be celebrated with a photo/video or an entire gallery of such

5 tips for becoming more productive

Hi my lovelies!  Today I want to give you some practical tips on how to become more productive. Although this topic had been written about a million times on the web, I thought it would be worth addressing again. As procrastination is something I struggle with on a daily basis, I have already tested a thousand-and-one methods for staying concentrated so I would like to share those that work for me personally. L et's get right to it!   1. Mute your phone, switch it off or leave it in a different room  Let's start with the basics! Y ou get to choose which of the three options suits you best -  I guess it depends on how quickly you lose your focus. In my case, the phone would probably have to be left in a house across the road...I get distracted very easily! 2. Make a timetable for yourself There are two ways of doing this; you can either write a 'to do' list or draft-up a timetable outlining your duties and the time you would like to dedica